What Happens When the Sheep Are Frightened?
As we finish up week two of Coronavirus Theatre it’s worth considering what can be learned at this point in the experience. Americans are easily manipulated, even more so when they are frightened. The mainstream media (MSM) has done a wonderful job in creating fear. Our government has also done a great job of inadvertently growing that fear.
The MSM has weaponized the virus for political reasons and creating fear is a necessary part of that process. The government (more state than federal) has inadvertently grown the fear by overreacting.
As I’ve explained here, the virus is real, the crisis is manufactured. To be clear I’m not saying we should ignore the virus only that our actions should be appropriate. Similar to a self-defense incident where the use of force is authorized but only to the level appropriate to stop the threat. Too little force could result in a trip to the ER where too much could result in a trip to prison. Our reaction to the coronavirus (COVID-19) should be appropriate as well.
Ask yourself a question. How many people do you know with the virus? How many people do you know that know someone, that knows someone, that knows someone with the virus? Ask yourself the same question regarding fatalities.
Two articles add some perspective. The first examines per capita death rates while the second questions our overreaction. People including political leaders, business leaders and members of the public are experiencing various levels of fear. People in fear tend to make bad decisions. Consider the following:
- Around the country bars, restaurants, and other small businesses have been ordered to close at least through March. Small and midsize businesses employ over 60% of our workforce. The financial hardship imposed on employees, business owners, and to the economy will be devastating if this continues beyond March. Is this cost appropriate?
- San Francisco and surrounding counties have placed their citizens on “lockdown” one step short of martial law. New York City is considering similar action. Is this action appropriate? Are they just one panicked decision away from real martial law? California’s governor has considered martial law and is ready to implement if need be.
- In Kentucky, Sheriff’s deputies have been posted outside a COVID-19 victim’s house 24/7 to ensure he self-quarantines. Excessive?
- People can be seen in public wearing surgical masks and gloves. While this behavior is comical, the real effect is that it is decreasing the supply for EMS personal who actually need them.
- Californians are calling 911 to report coughing neighbors
- Gun shops and ranges around the country experiencing huge increases in guns and ammo sales
- Will government officials use the crisis as an excuse to suspend the Second Amendment? Impossible?
There are many other examples of this hysteria. The point here is that we are seeing this panicked behavior at all levels of our society and there is no crisis. What would we be seeing if there really was an imminent deadly threat to our nation? Violence is the final step in panicked behavior.
For rational gun owners the current situation can be used as a good dry run for a real crisis. Were you prepared or were you out there with the masses fighting for toilet paper? Do you have a supply of food and water on hand (at least 30 days’ worth)? Are you good with guns and ammo or were you part of the crowd mobbing gun shops and ranges? If you weren’t prepared, consider this a low cost learning experience. Be calm, be rational, be safe. Be the adult in the room.
The right to self-defense is a basic human right. Gun ownership is an integral part of that right. If you want to keep your rights defend them by joining San Diego County Gun Owners (SDCGO) in San Diego, Orange County Gun Owners (OCGO) in Orange County, San Bernardino County Gun Owners (SBCGO) in San Bernardino County or Riverside County Gun Owners (RCGO) in Riverside. Support the cause by listening to Gun Sports Radio live on Sunday afternoon or on the internet at your leisure. Join the fight and help us restore and preserve our second amendment rights. Together we will win.
©2020 Joseph T Drammissi